The Left Side of the Couch

 


My view of the world for one hour each morning is from the left side of the couch. 

From there I enjoy my hot, hot coffee in luxurious slow sips, take in the view outside of either darkness or the occasional runner, and prepare for the day as the sun slowly begins to shine through the neighborhood and finally over the horizon.

I also think, I pray, I reflect, I wonder, and I sometimes read.

Why the left side?  I often wonder that as well. 

I've come to decide it is because of how we sat in my childhood home. I was always on the left side of the couch, my father's recliner to my left, and my mother's rocker across. We all looked over a circular coffee table toward a TV with three (maybe five) channels and huge rabbit ears. Stacking TV tables stood in the corner and my mother's turntable in a beautiful case was between my parent's chairs. You can imagine how thick the shag carpeting was, right?

Today, I am thankful for the morning and this time.

I am thankful for the comfort of the left side of the couch, and for all that good that comes from sitting still for just one hour each morning. 

Have a good day, Everyone!


Comments